2011 will be the year of the vegetable garden! It has been declared…by me of, course! If you are going to buy your seeds from a catalog, this is the time to make your purchases. If you wait until April or May, most of the seeds that you may want to order will be gone.
You may ask “why so early?” Well, just remember, you have farmers that are buying their seeds now to begin growing them in greenhouses. They need to be able to bring those delicious fruits and veggies you love to market early in the spring (when most gardens haven’t even begun to produce).
What kind of seeds should you buy? To answer that question, you need only ask yourself what you like to eat. If you like tomatoes, buy tomato seeds. If you like cucumbers, buy cucumber seeds. If you like squash, buy squash seeds. You get the point, right? If you grow what you like to eat you are more likely to tend your garden regularly and harvest that fruit when it’s ready.
There are lots of great catalogs out there to choose from. Don’t get seed catalogs? Don’t worry, most companies that sell seeds have online stores as well. I buy organic seeds because I don’t like genetically modified seeds. A few of my favorites are: Johnny’s Selected Seeds (www.johnnyseeds.com); The Natural Gardening Company www.naturalgardening.com); Seeds of Change (www.seedsofchange.com); and Abundant Life Seeds (www.abundantlifeseeds.com).
Pay attention to the spacing needs of the seeds you order. Most catalogs will tell you how large your plants will grow. Some will even say if the plant will thrive in small spaces or containers. If you aren’t sure about a seed, you can always give the company a call. There’s always a knowledgeable customer service representative that is ready to help you make the best choice for your garden space.
Now you have a few places to order seeds from…so get to it! Remember, you can always email me with questions at arussell@teamdtri.com or leave a comment here on my blog. I will be sure to respond. Email me pictures of your garden too….I’d love to see what you’ve got growin’!
Until next time garden gals and guys….
Happy garden thoughts!

Comments

  1. Hello, Diva! Love, love your blog now that I have discovered it through charcutepalooza! I'm a gardener as well and would like to be a Master Gardener someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Moonglow! I am glad that you are enjoying my blog! I'll be posting a lot of interesting information as I try this new SPIN gardening method. You can be a master gardener too! You'll love it. I have met so many wonderful people and learned so many things. Welcome to my blog, visit often and tell your friends, OK?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wait...A Farm on a Patio?? Yup!

Farmer Spotlight: Nick Ager

WAIT! Before you buy those seeds...read this!